It is not everyday that the thought of getting married strikes you. It is a conclusion people reach to after considering a lot of things like your partner their expectations, future goals and finances. In simple words, it takes time to conclude that you are ready to get married to a particular individual and spend the rest of your life together. It is not an impulsive decision that you take in moments of happiness or togetherness there are a lot of factors to be considered. Today we will be going over some of these factors and learn about the legal requirements if two people decide to get married.
It starts with two individuals wanting to be in each other’s company and developing an inseparable bond. People start understanding each other’s values each other’s differences getting accustomed to living in each other’s space. To consolidate these efforts, people get married legally to get social as well as legal recognition.
There are some legal requirements that one has to fulfil to get legally married, make sure that you have these ready beforehand. You can check online the procedure and legal requirements of mariage civil in Montréal.
*make sure you get legal advice from the Mairie before you proceed with the process.
- You will need to produce identification before the Mairie. Usually, a passport does the job in most cases.
- A valid birth certificate. It has to be less than three months old if you are a French national, and less than six months old if the service supplying the records is foreign.
- An address proof that has been supplied by the resident of the commune or a residential insurance or bills (telephone or electricity).
- Personal and professional information of the people who are witness to the ceremony.
- The livret de famille if you have kids.
- In cases of widowhood or if either of the two individuals has been divorced valid divorce certificates and death certificates are to be produced before the registrar.
Once everything is done successfully, you will have around a year to get married after getting the authorization.
One may still have a lot to take care of as marriages are not easy to maintain. Before you tie the knot, make sure you have planned your finances, you know each other’s goals understand each other’s career requirements and plans. When people stay together, they tend to share a lot of common viewpoints and disagree on a lot. A lot of the time, people are unable to sync their wavelengths and are not on the same page when it comes to many things like family, religion and a host of other things. It is essential to show trust in each other and respect each other and their beliefs. It would help if you had a solid foundation for the marriage to last a lifetime.