It is true what they all say about moving house. It can be one of the most stressful things that we ever do. Trying to get all our belongings organized and move from one location to another is laborious, time consuming and exhausting. While we can get help to lift and unload the boxes, there is still plenty of things to do before the move. There are no way around it unfortunately if we want to ensure that we have tied up all the loose ends.
If you are planning to relocate but do not know where to start, do read on for some guide to make your move a little easier and smoother. Planning a house move can be compared to spending time to do a big jigsaw puzzle. You have to put all the pieces together in the correct way to achieve success. If you happen to miss a step of the relocation plan or do not follow schedule , you will not be able to have a smooth and trouble free relocation.
Start Planning a Move
It is best to start planning your move as early as possible, which may take anywhere between a month and a year.
Things To Do
Make a list of people that needs to be notified like friends, family members, bank, insurance company and etc.
- Change your address with service provide and any subscription services that you may have.
- Make arrangements for your mail to be redirected at the Post Office. This service acts as a backup plan to receive mail fro those who are not aware that you have changed address.
- Get ready the packing materials you will need to pack your boxes such as packing tapes, labels, markers and bubble wraps for fragile items.
- Remove unwanted items by donating clothes, shoes, toys and books. Make a box for these items to be donated to charity or recycled.
- Store items that you want but not needed for now. Items such as camping equipment, patio furniture can be placed into storage.
- Dismantle non-essential furniture and cabinets that you want to take with you. Make sure they can be reassembled. This would make it easier to move and less chance of being damaged. This is a good time to consider if you are going to take all your furniture to your new home or getting rid of excess furniture
- Make a plan to clean your new house before you move in because you would not have time to clean it on the day of the move.
- Pack a moving-day survival box which should include essential items like bread, bottled water, kettle, milk, tea, coffee, toiletries, cutlery and plates. It would be easier to get access to these items in your new home instead of popping out to the shop to buy them.
Find A Reliable Moving Company
Book your movers as soon as you have set a date for your move. It is crucial to book in advance as the moving company you want may not be available on the date that you plan to move. This is even more important if you are looking to move interstate, or during the busy season such as September to December. There are many moving companies in the market that it can be overwhelming to scour the internet and call each of them. Well, you do not have to worry because Shiply, an online shipping platform can help to connect you to their list of rated shipping companies. You can receive personalized moving quotes sent to your mailbox instantly and compare quotes all in one place.
Remember not leave it to the last-minute to organize your move as some things need to be sorted beforehand. Planning ahead will ensure minimal stress and a smooth moving process into your new home.